Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Paradise City

Bula or Yadra(depending on the time you are reading this)

Ok so I have 30 minutes to try to fit in as much information to everyone as I can, so excuse me if it is scrabbled.  I also unfortunately don't have any of the pictures we have taken here as of yet, sorry.

First of all let me take the time to thank, Michael Brady, my former boss at Allianz.  We got a great article on joining the peacecorps in the Hannon Security Newsletter thanks to him, so thanks again Michael.

Ok so on to Fiji, it has been great here so far, at least relatively speaking.  We landed on Thursday( Wednesday doesn't exsist for us)  from there we took a trip down the southern coast of Fiji by boat to a Christian children's center right on the ocean where we did our water safety courses.  For all the people that said Fiji weather is beautiful you were right (I never was really doubted you).  For the people who thought we should watch out for poisonous snakes, well their are not any to speak of in fact nothing on land here is poisonous.  Now in the water that is another kit and kaboddle.  From there on Friday we drove to Nadave.  We stayed there until Monday as one big group, which I forgot mention consisted of 35 people and only one other married couple besides Alyssa and myself.  While we were there we began to learn Fijian and everything about the culture we needed to know.  Let me tell you there are alot and most of them having to do with kava or krog or yoqouna (They are all the same thing, thats right three words).  Fijians tend to think of krog kind of like we think of alcohol except it has huge cultural signifcance here.  All though alcohol I suppose alcohol has a huge cultural significance in America except for completely different reasons.  I also can speak some basic Fijian:

Yandra, O iko moce vinaka? (Morning, Did you sleep well?)
Io, vinaka (Yes, thank you)

I know, I know, I am well on my way to being a fluent speaker.  Anyway I am running out of time they're are many more things I want to talk about but don't have the time.  I suppose I could write these on my computer and just copy and paste, my host family has electricity and running water, not in the capacity though that we as Americans think of though, that is for another time though.

I hope everyone is doing well, I just checked ESPN and its crazy that the Twins are playing the Yankees live yesterday there, while it is almost 2:00 pm here.
 

5 comments:

  1. Thank goodness about the poisonous snakes but watch out for the sharks. Your Fijian is coming along great. It was fun to read your update. We can't wait for the next one. We are soooooo proud of you guys. B and B

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made my day. I wish I had my Fiji clock with me so I know what time it is there right now. Just got to work and thought I will just check to see if something got posted and yippie it did. I am very happy to hear things are going good. Also that is a nice group to be going through the same things with. Can't wait to hear more love you guys, I would say watch out for the jelly fish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeaaaaah! It's great to hear from you. I just got an email from Alyssa also(which I'll call Becky later with that info). It sounds like you two won the lottery on being in one of the most beautiful places on earth! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetness! Yes, please do start writing on your computer at home and copying and pasting. THe people want more information! Thinking about you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What! no scorpions? No tarantulas?... just kidding. You're going to be getting to know such a rich and different culture. Tell us about your host family when you can. Glad you got there safely and enjoy where you are so far.

    ReplyDelete