Monday, December 6, 2010

No Pics Again...

Bula! 
I always have great intentions of putting up photos, but alas I have failed again!  I have a hard time remembering to bring the camera to town and then I hate waiting for them to download... 
Anyways, news from home has reached us that a certain Mr. and Mrs. Goldade will be having a baby in June! Grand-baby number one on that side of the family.  That timing will work out quite nicely with our other handsome little nephew's first birthday!  (Well, Matthew and Maggie may have a girl, then we'd have a niece and nephew.)  The plan right now is to come home early June for about 2-3 weeks.  Maybe plans will shift a bit if any other big events come up but it shouldn't change too much.
The holiday season is kicking off over here in Fiji, too.  A group of about 20 Peace Corps volunteers gathered for Thanksgiving and stayed together in two rented houses at a resort.  Me and Matt brought brownies (made in a stove top oven), homemade carmel and BBQ sauce, glazed carrots and ice cream. It rained most of the time, so the ice cream wasn't as needed as I thought it would be!
Matt has been busy helping to build the new community hall/evacuation center in the village.  Maybe when it's finished the women and I can have aerobics classes in there?!
We're both still having a lot of fun with the kids.  Matt buried a few of them in the sand yesterday while he was working on the hall and I get a kick out of the little girls sharing their one pair of (way too big) high heels.  We gave them cookies last week for helping to pick up trash in the village and taught them the song "Hole in the Bottom of the Lake" for their school concert.  Coming up we are planning a little Christmas party.
As for friends, Matt has a good friend named Manasa who he hangs out with and does a lot of work with, too. Manasa has three kids and laughs like a crazy person all the time! I have a friend named Vika who taught me how to weave a Fijian mat and I shared my American word find puzzles with her.
We're still doing a lot of vegetarian cooking.  Matt finally is starting to like my pumpkin curry- heck yes!
Enough rambling from me.  Hope you enjoyed this little snap shot of Fiji life.  Keep us informed on yours- our lives are far less exciting than would be imagined! :)

Much love,
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment